NEW TERM STARTS MONDAY 15th JANUARY 2024
Peckham Rye Sings is a fun and friendly community choir based in Peckham and led by local choir leader Xenia Davis.
We meet on Monday evenings from 7.30-9pm at the Copleston Centre, and we sing beautiful a cappella folk, gospel and world music songs in 3 and 4 part harmony. All songs are taught by ear.
We were founded in June 2015 and we’ve grown to around 45 members.
Looking for a Peckham choir? Everyone is welcome to come and sing with Peckham Rye Sings, whether your singing is limited to the shower or you belt out ballads on the London Overground. There is no need to read music, and you don’t need to audition. You can start at any point in the year. And your first session is free, so there’s nothing to lose.
“We start the week with a smile rather than a groan knowing that Monday has such a treat at the end of it.”
Want to find out more about Peckham Rye Sings? Here are some handy FAQs
When do you meet?
Monday evenings during term time, from 7.30 – 9.00pm.
Where do you meet?
How much does it cost?
Term rates (pro-rata if you join part way through a term):
- Full price: £96 (ie £8 a week)
- Concession: £72 (ie £6 a week)
- Full price plus £120 (ie £10 a week)
A note on rates:
- Full price: This is the standard rate.
- Concession rate: This is for anyone who feels like they best fit into this category. I don’t need you to show me proof of low income or unemployment or anything like that – if it feels for you that this is the rate you need to pay, I trust your judgment.If you normally pay the standard rate and then for whatever reason you’re in a phase where you need to pay the lower rate for a bit, that’s fine, do what feels right for you. Again, I trust your judgment.
If the concession rate feels out of range and you wouldn’t be able to come otherwise, I’d rather you just come, and pay what you can, or don’t pay at all. When finances are difficult, that can be really stressful, and singing is really good for stress!
- Full price plus: This is for anyone who feels like they’re able to pay a little above the standard rate. The extra goes towards supporting lower rates for those who wouldn’t be able to come along otherwise – it means that collectively as a group we can absorb this.
I really want to come but I don’t know if I can commit to every week. Is that ok?
Come along every week, or just come a few times a term. There’s the option to either pay for a term up-front, or buy a bundle of drop-in sessions. We have learning tracks of all the songs we’re singing in a given term, so you can listen at home and catch up on what you’ve missed.
I’ve missed the start of term. Is it too late to join?
No! Up to the last couple of weeks of term, we’re always learning at least one new song, or part of a song, each week. This is intentional, so that people can join us at any point in the year. We’ve had singers join us 2 weeks before a performance before, and take part in the performance, just singing the song or songs they feel confident with.
Do you perform?
Yes we do. We usually do 1-2 performances per term. We’ve sung at the Southbank Centre, Lambeth Country Show, at local community Wassailing events and street parties, Sing For Water, and we’ve flash mobbed the London Overground and the Tate Modern. Performing is totally optional though, it’s fun, but not everyone’s cup of tea, so if you’re not into performing, that’s totally fine.
What do you sing?
Here are some (live and lockdown) recordings of songs we’ve sung.